Saturday, July 17, 2010

Sam and Ella's Chicken Palace

LOCATION: 419 North Muskogee Avenue, Tahlequah, OK
FOOD GENRE: Pizza and related side dishes
PRICE: If you've ever eaten at Hideaway pizza, the prices are very comparable. I would say it's a decent-priced price for a sit-down pizza place.

Okay, first of all the restaurant name is misleading. When I first heard it, I was expecting a place where all the meals have Chicken-related ingredients. However, that is not why it's named so! The real reason is when you walk in... EVERYTHING is chicken themed. The decorations, the placemats... everything has chickens on it. Which results in a really neat casual atmosphere. Granted, it's right next to the college (Northwestern State University) so most of the restaurants around there have a very relaxed atmosphere.

The one warning I was given before eating here, and it proved true when I went, is that it will take awhile for your food to get there. Which is usually a good sign, meaning it's fresh. The restaurant is VERY busy, and it is in an old downtown building... I'd say maybe 30-50 people can eat in there... it's not very big, but it was definitely crowded when we went at lunchtime.

The menu is limited... it's not big, and they only have a few specialty pizzas, but I doubt you'd ever get tired of them! For the life if me I can't remember the pizza we had, but it was SO GOOD! A few of the ingredients were grilled pineapple and ham with honey drizzled over it, so you can only imagine what the rest of the pizza ingredients were like! And the crust; SO THICK! I LOVED it! Think crust lovers: They do have a thin crust option, but I can't imagine why you'd stray from their hand-tossed homemade crust... it was phenomenal.

Because we'd heard that the food would be awhile, we ordered an appetizer: a Spinach and ricotta cheese calzone-style appetizer. Unfortunately it came out right as our pizza did. Also: the appetizer was HUGE! We got WAY more food than 2 people could eat. But both the appetizer, and pizza, were to die for, even if our bodies were dying afterwards from the enormous amount of cheese, bread, and various other less-than-healthy ingredients. But I would go back there in a heartbeat.

It's a great unique pizza place for a small town... easily worth the money and the drive. They also sell neon-colored shirts of the place for $15, which I almost snagged, but didn't. It's very comparable to Hideaway pizza, and dare I say, possibly a little bit better (especially in regards to the specialty pizzas and appetizers). The staff was busy and therefore a little slow, but they were VERY polite to us, and greeted us as we entered/left the restaurant. For anybody in the area, I'd highly recommend it for a casual, yet very enjoyable and affordable experience!

RATING: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment